Thursday, July 25, 2013

Life's Little Learning Experiences

Some famous philosopher once said "when we cease to learn, we cease to exist."

Okay, I'm really not sure if anyone ever actually said that. But it totally sounds like something that some really smart person (who apparently has no social life or hobbies) would say. 

That really smart person who may or may not have said the above quote would be really proud of me right now. I'm at CVS, waiting on my Effexor prescription to be filled. This is an imperative because I didn't take it yesterday and have to deal with people today. Since, I don't have money to make bail, the refill must happen. NOW.

During my 10 minute wait, I've learned that William, the pharmacist and Anita, the pharmacy tech, seem to hate each other. I'd find their constant arguing, contradicting and eye-rolling more entertaining if I didn't worry about some innocent customer dying from a preventable drug interaction born out of hostile distraction. 

I've also learned an important lesson in African American men's hair accessories. If I hadn't strolled down aisle four, I might've never learned that do-rags and stocking caps are entirely different items used for different moods and occasions.

This is important to know. I'd certainly hate to buy the wrong thing if my friend Tyrone were to ever send me to the store for a mesh head cover....First, I would need to acquire a friend named Tyrone. But, thanks to my CVS learning experience, I'll feel more comfortable in discussing his hair styling options, when we do eventually meet.

You have to love the product name "WAV Enforcer" which infers an intimidating threat to one's "do" if the waves were to misbehave. It' must also be important to appear menacing when you're wearing the equivalent of black panty-hose on your head, as if to say "Hey punk, make fun of my panty-do-rag and I'll pop a cap in yo ass." Reminds me of the quote from Raising Arizona. "Son, you got a panty on your head." Maybe the old man wouldn't have had the nerve to say that if only Nicholas Cage had looked angrier. 

I'm kind of jealous, that someone could throw on a mesh head cover and be done with fixing their hair. Just like that! No hour of shine serum, blow dryer and flat iron. Just a quick, easy do. My prescription isn't ready and I have $2.47 to waste, so I'm going to purchase one for myself. But which one? Do I go with the stocking cap or the shorty do-rag? Not an easy decision!


I went with the do-rag since it has the little tie in the back and I sometimes enjoy dressing like a pirate. Perhaps next week, I'll try out a Mennonite women's bonnet. 

Okay, William and Anita, quit your bickering. I've gotta get back to work! I guess while I wait, I might as well take advantage of the free blood pressure machine. There's another learning experience for me. At this rate, I'll never cease to exist.

Happy Thursday, Everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always told you that you were funnier than me. I miss you!

Melissa